Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Being Thrifty

My friend, Hannah, often hits thrift stores and finds tons of great stuff. I even have a plate holder on top of my dining cabinet thanks to her. She also buys tons of clothes for her daughter there. I've also been following a blog here and she often hits thrift stores to search out great finds. Today, I was feeling inspired. I thought to myself "I can be like Hannah and find a great shower curtain or Thrifty Decor Chick and find something that I can re purpose." Anna has a half day on Wednesdays and she had a dentist appointment right next to a Goodwill so it seemed like the best opportunity to give the thrift store anther chance. I've tried this off and on...Let me preface this by saying I don't like buying used but really, I can't afford to buy everything NEW...but oh how I would love to. Plus, if I find something I can re purpose, I'll have an opportunity to test my crafty tendencies. I shop sales and often buy ahead for Anna and rarely ever play full price for something UNLESS its from Target or Walmart. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying used. Not in the least. It's just not something I do on a regular basis. I will hit a consignment shop which somehow feels not so...junky. In fact Anna's Easter dress this year DOES in fact come from a consignment shop. I was so proud of myself for getting it even though it is a used dress. My point is that its a BIG deal for me to hit a thrift store. So, I hit goodwill after the dentist appointment. I found NOTHING. Not a darn thing. Then I hit Family Thrift. This is a favorite of Hannah's. The clothes there, oddly, seem nicer. But I wasn't in the market for clothes. Anna has enough. The rest? Mostly JUNK. I did find a desk for $24.97. With a new paint job and some new hardware, it would be FABULOUS in Anna's room. I'm still tossing around if I should go get it or not. But other than that, there was no a single crafty-re purposing project I could find. I feel like I need to be taught this because people out there DO find great stuff. Anna made a comment about how all the stores looked junky. I said "Yep, that's because this is the stuff other people don't want anymore." Her response? "OOOOH. But maybe we'll find something that we might want?" Yeah, I guess that's the premise.

No comments: