Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our not so simple life...

A lot has happened this past week that is going to make the next couple of months a bit more complicated. I'm trying really hard to see God's perfect timing in all of this but its getting pretty frustrating. My surgery and Reed's ship leaving seem to be moving towards each other. That's not so good. I'll start with Reed's ship. We've been under the impression that we would all be leaving in April to go to San Diego. Reed finally got to read the schedule the other day and found out that the ship goes out to sea just before Christmas to do "work ups". After Christmas (he'll be home, thank goodness!), the ship leaves...for good. They do NOT pull back here...ever. They have stuff to do off the coast for a couple of weeks and then head on the LOOOONG journey around South America, making a few stops along the way until the pull into San Diego in April. We are hoping to be out of the house with our stuff in storage before he leaves but obviously, the house has to sell first. YIKES.

Further more, there were some complications with my sleep study today appointment today. The appointment was scheduled to determine whether I need a sleep study. They need to know before hand if I have sleep apnea. When I met with the surgeon in June, he said "See the nutritionist and see the psychologist and then come see me for your pre-op appointment." Three weeks later, I get a letter stating that I needed to have a sleep study. I played phone tag with his nurse because this was not what we had discussed and she finally said to go ahead and schedule the appointment to see if you need a sleep study. So, I did. I had to wait a MONTH for the appointment. When I went in today, he said "Well, the only symptom you have is the snoring but he obviously wants you to have it so lets schedule it." HUH? I was under the impression that HE was the specialist and is the one who should determine whether I need it or not...other wise, why not just schedule the sleep study to begin with? I told him the whole story and that I knew for a fact that I don't have sleep apnea because I sleep more soundly than most. I told him it was a waste of time and money and that time is key right now. I asked him to call my doctor to find out if he really wanted me to have a sleep study or if he wanted the specialist to determine whether I needed one or not. He said NO because he would never get in touch with him...HUH? I've worked in a doctor's office before and its pretty much a professional courtesy to speak with doctors about their patients. So, by the time the poor guy comes in (a nurse, CNA or something) to schedule my study I was MAD. I unload on him and tell him right away that I'm sorry I'm unloading on him. When I meet with the nurse to schedule my follow up for my sleep study, she tells me that its dumb that I have to have one...I agreed and told her I was not happy with the doctor and would continue to be unhappy with him until my final appointment with him. My sleep study isn't until September 29th and the follow up is on October 14th. I then need to schedule my pre-op with Dr. Mann (my surgeon) and after that we will schedule surgery 30-45 days out. So, if you're following the dates in your head...that puts surgery in December...when Reed is GONE, when we hope to be moving out of the house and the holidays! I called the Dr. Mann's nurse today and she said they would try to work something out...I don't know what that means? And, because she never calls my cell phone no matter how many times I give her that number, she called the house while we were gone. Nice. I have to call back on the 9th because she is out of the office until then. I hope she will go ahead and schedule my pre-op with Dr. Mann so that the sleep study is in the middle of it OR let me not do the sleep study at all. So, that was the ordeal today.

I've been waiting for this surgery since January and I'm TIRED of waiting. I've been patient. I'm ready mentally...in fact, I can't even tell you how much more ready I am than I was in June. I'm very open about it. I'm excited. I'm no longer nervous. I'm confident about post op. But all these road blocks are beginning to make me question if it really is the right thing.

Throw in the fact that this house needs to sell sooner rather than later and you've got a mess on your hands. In a perfect world, Dr. Mann's nurse will schedule my pre-op appointment for mid-September and not make me do my sleep study. I'm not holding my breath! But, hopefully, she will at least schedule it then and let it over lap the sleep study process. I would love to have this over and done with by late October.

So, pray my friends. I don't know what to tell you to pray for...don't tell me to pray for patience though. I think I've got that down during this process. Maybe pray that I will stay steadfast and that we can keep moving forward.

No comments: