Friday, July 10, 2009

How's your summer?

Ours feels like it just started. School ended late this year and then 2 days later, we had Anna's ballet recital. The last full week in June, Anna was at Vacation Bible School at our old church. Reed was gone that week so it was nice to have some time to myself...ease back into having Anna home all day. Then the week prior to July 4th, was Grandkids Week at the Lake. Do you know how blessed I am to have parents who love our children so much that they're willing to take them all on at once? For a whole week? My mom and dad rock! The kids love the week they get with mom and dad and look forward to it all year. They have a craft time every day, school time, swim time, boat time and of course rest time. Each kid gets a night that is their special night. They get to pick dinner for the night. Anna picked chicken, mac and cheese and fruit. Taylor picked spaghetti. Bray picked pizza. Emma, she's a smart one, picked steak, tater tots and fruit. Notice that there were no veggies. While Anna loves them, her cousins are a bit more picky and my mom decided it wasn't a battle she was going to fight although I think she probably could have pulled off some green beans. This year, Reed and I left after a going away party on Friday night and got to the house around midnight. Tab and Stu got there around lunch the next day (July 4th). We hung out, went swimming and rode the jet ski some. Anna even jumped off the high dock. That night, we always ride the boat out to the main part of the lake and watch the fireworks. We have to get their early to get a good spot. Anna and Emma went swimming off the back of the boat while we waited. The fireworks were, as usual, amazing! It is my favorite way to spend the 4th of July!







So, what, you ask, did I do with my free week? Reed was also gone for part of that week too. I stayed busy planning a shower, a trip to D.C. to shop, ran (endless) errands, got a hair cut and spent Friday with Reed before we had to go to a going away party. We left for the lake an hour after we got home from the party.

This week, I'm doing my best to keep Anna busy. Its very easy for me to fall into being lazy like I can often get away with when Anna is in school. We have accomplished "Library and crafts day", "Fun Day" (we went to Blue Bird Gap Farm and a water fountain at the new "mall" that she can play in), and "Movie Day". Tomorrow is "Theme Park Day" and I guess that means we're headed to Busch Gardens or Water Country. At the moment, that doesn't sound all that appealing but I know I'll be fine once we get there.

No comments: