Friday, February 20, 2009

A First Time for Everything

I was just sitting down to blog about us for a change when the door bell rung. It was a delivery that has put that update on hold because I must share with the world the significance of today.

You see, I'm a very thrifty person. I can't fathom spending hundreds of dollars on a purse or shoes.... or anything else that I will wear out or tire of. But the desire is still there. Occasionally, I'd price a Kate Spade or a Coach bag and realize that not only would my wallet hurt to much so would my sense of pride. Pride? Yes, pride! I pride myself on being a thrifty person. I don't typically buy used clothes because I can find them for less on sale. I know how to make a dollar stretch and I love that about myself! You can see why a coach purse would be out of the question, right? Even at an outlet price, I just couldn't justify it. Sure, it has a lifetime warranty and if I knew I would carry that purse for the rest of my life, I would get it. But, I don't know that and so I refused to pay for a designer bag.

And then I found the Vera Bradley Sale section.

I've been eyeing it for almost a year waiting. Patiently. When I first started looking, Pink Elephants and Capri Melon had just hit the Sale section. Don't know what Capri Melon is? Well, its a pattern. You see Vera Bradley sells quilted purses. Each pattern has its own name. I was hooked! I had finally found a 'designer' bag that I could afford... ON SALE of course. But, I didn't really care for any of the patterns out. I started eyeing the Signature Collection but those prices scared me (keep in mind, they are nothing compared to a Coach purse). I found a pattern I loved but they were still $59 and that was one of the cheaper bags. I waited. And waited. And waited. Then just before Christmas, I was cruising Gottadeal.com when I found a coupon for the military. It was 50% off your total purchase! REALLY? So I filled up my cart. The pattern I loved had just hit the Sale page and was about 15% off. With an additional 50% off, I was making out like a bandit. I had a wallet, purse and a couple of Christmas gifts for family and teachers. When I went to check out, I found that the military coupon code was no longer valid because it had been leaked and they couldn't afford to honor it. I was sad. So very sad. I thought my chances were through and frustrated that a bunch of non-military women got the discount and I didn't.

Since Christmas, I've been watching the Sale section even closer than before. Last week, I found the purse that I want in the pattern I want for $25. Finally! They also had a wallet that matched for $12. I ordered it right away! I thought, "Hey, a purse at Target sells for that much!" and I could finally justify buying the purse. Today it came in the mail.

Meet Little Betsy in the Kensington pattern. My first. 'designer' purse.

No comments: