Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mini-Stockings and a Mini-Update

I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that we've been busy as I'm sure you are all equally busy! 'Tis the season! I love it though. This holiday season has been wonderful and I'm enjoying every second. Reed is home for a change and it has made a huge difference in my stress level. It doesn't hurt that I decorated EARLY and wrapped presents as they came into the house. Christmas cards are mostly done and will hit the mail soon! I've picked up a few small things here and there but still have the gift cards to do.

On Dec. 5th, we went to HollyDazzle. It was a great time. This is our 3rd year going but it is the first year that mom and dad came with us. Mom rented a room at the Marriott just across from the fountain where they would be shooting off the fireworks and invited the kids to spend the night. We went to dinner and then headed out for crafts and to meet some of the Christmas characters. The city sponsors craft booths for the kids to come and make crafts, there were dancers and at least 1 chorus there too. A man in stilts wonders around as does Frosty, Rudolf and many other of our favorite Christmas friends. This year Newport News added a new Winter wonderland that is free. They have train rides, a small Ferris wheel and some other activities for the kids. It was close to fireworks time when we got there so we only got to do the Ferris wheel. We'll go back soon! Then we watched the fireworks from the room. They were awesome and it was nice to watch them and be warm. The down side is that we didn't get to hear the music. We'll have to figure out a plan for next year. Pictures below are from that night!


Speaking of next year, we do have a small update to give about Reed's orders. He will move to the Carl Vinsen next month. He's met with the Master Chief and thinks he will love working for him. The ship will move to San Diego in Jan. 2010 but that's only if it stays on track to leave the ship yards this March. Rumors are that the ship won't move until next February or March because it is behind. The orders are written for us to be off the ship in October 2011 so we won't be in San Diego too long at all. The orders could change and that could be for a variety of reasons. He says that they may have to re-issue orders once they do the change of duty station and that may change the date. There is a possibility that if he makes Chief, he might have to get new orders. The other factor is Reed's back. He has a compressed disk and it started bothering him when he was gone last year. We are going to try treatment first but if that doesn't work, he will have to go on light duty for at least a year while he waits and recovers from surgery. While this would keep us here, its not really what either of us want.

I think I covered everything! We have a busy couple of weeks until Christmas but I will try to blog when I can. I have to finish shopping, wrap up the remaining gifts, make more stockings and get ready for our community group Christmas party. I also need to plan out our "homeschooling" stuff for Anna's Christmas vacation.









Mini-Stockings
Here they are! I still haven't figured out how to display them. My current idea is to hang them on my WHITE tree. It is currently decorated in red, white and blue but I wanted to do something different with it next year. I may go with something a little more "retro" or home-made looking next year in similar colors, which really would just mean taking out the blue and adding in some green.
Just buttons

A Christmas Tree

Snowflake

Stars

Holly

Mittens... Maybe?
Angel
Button polka-dots

Snowman
Manger/Stable
Pretty bow

Wreath
If you have any other ideas for the stockings, leave a comment! I need help. I'm working on mini-Christmas trees now and am going to do a candle next. I thought about doing Charlie Brown's tree... I don't know. I just need more ideas!
Merry Christmas if I don't get back here before then!

3 comments:

BetnyNonnie said...

I love your mini stockings! They are precious! I would buy them at a store! So cute!

Teeny Marie said...

Idea for display -- You could hang your stockings like they are on a clothesline across a mantel or staircase, or whatever. They are really cute. Very festive. You did a great job with them.

The Three Amigos said...

Thanks! I love them too.