We've been working on Anna's bathroom for a couple of weeks. It was HORRIBLE. When we moved in, it had a horrible metal medicine cabinet, 1970's green tile that we don't have the money or time to fix, really, really ugly light fixtures (circa 1969) and lovely lighthouse wallpaper (circa 1987). I hated it. I mean truly hated the room. It was the FIRST room I wanted to redo...funny, it is the LAST room I've yet to touch. hmm... Anyways, when we first moved in, I decided to see what was under the horrible lighthouse wallpaper and found an even worse wallpaper. It was blue with white and yellow flowers and of course green leaves to match my 1970's green tile. YUCK. I was so disgusted that I only pulled off 1 strip of the lighthouse paper...and there it sat for almost 4 years. Over time, I've bought 2 different paint colors to try and hated them both. One was a light blue that I used in the guest room and the other was this sunny yellow. Oddly enough, we found a very similar sunny yellow under the wallpaper. Way back in March, I pulled all the lighthouse junk down and then contemplated what to do about the even more hideous wallpaper. I finally picked out a very soft pink and then waited and waited because the thought of stripping that paper was making me ill. When Reed took leave, we decided that we would conquer it together. We got it stripped, washed and sanded on Monday. Then I primed it on Tuesday and painted it on Wednesday. Reed hung the lights on Wednesday night. I finally got around to making it look seriously CA-UTE this past week. I LOVE IT. The shelf needs a few more things to make it look done but overall, I like it so far. I'm going to get matching wash clothes for the shelf and some cute bottles of bathroom stuff. I spray painted the shelf (needs another coat and some wood filler in the holes on the ends) and the bird white. Then I painted the birdhouse and picture frames pink to match the towel. Speaking of the frames...they came with white ribbons and I changed them to green and white gingham and hung 2 black and white pictures of Reed and Anna in them...LOVE those pictures! I hung those plates and LOVE them. There is a lot of purple in them which is ok because there is a little purple in the towel. I thought they matched a bit more when I bought them at Target on clearance but noticed when I got home, they weren't as close as I thought they were. That is why I didn't put them closer to the towel bar. I used rub-ons to put "Bath" on the middle plate. LOVE IT! The rug, which you can't see, is just a pink, green and white striped rug that I got at Target. It is the same color pink as the pink in the towel and the pink in the picture frames/birdhouse and the green is the same as what's on the towel and the ribbon on the frames. It is actually NOT a bathroom rug. It is a cotton number that can be washed and washed. Anna is so... well, she's not the cleanest in the bathroom so I thought it was better than the white rugs I wanted. Reed still has to hang the mirror which goes all the way across that wall which is why it is just primed and not painted. I am considering rolling that part of the wall this week and hanging 2 mirrors there instead. What do you think? 2 mirrors or 1 big one? And then if I do 2 mirrors, do I do a silver finish on the frames or white? hmm... Oh, and we will also be changing out the outlets, fan and light switch to white. I may get brave and watch a tutorial and try it myself while Reed is gone.
And I must apologize, these are pictures from about 2 years ago. I didn't think to take before and after pictures but realize I now should have. You can catch glimpses of the horrible lighthouses, the ugly metal cabinet and the even worse 1970's wallpaper.




After:






I've been looking at Target.com to see if I can find a good picture of the towel in her bathroom and its not there anymore. They do have the same pattern in a bedspread though. This is what the towel looks like:

The hand towel is white with green and white polka dotted trim. I didn't realize I didn't get any good pictures of them. They were the inspiration for the room...well, that and the green tile I can do nothing with.
So, what's your idea on the mirror situation?
4 comments:
I think two mirrors -- one under each light fixture. It is really cute, you are so talented.
2 Mirrors def.
I disagree... I think 2 mirrors only works if you have 2 sinks... Otherwise, why would you need two mirrors? Just my $.02! The bathroom looks great otherwise! Nice work. Have you thought about made a single more decorative mirror? Maybe a big oval hung horizontal?
yeah, but I think there almost has to be a mirror under that second light. I have 2 light fixtures downstairs and did 2 mirrors but I like both looks...and 1 mirror is cheaper because we already have it.
Post a Comment