Friday, August 6, 2010

Rosie

We have a new family pet!  Her name is Rosie.  She is the CUTEST black and white kitty.  That makes 2 dogs, 1 kitten, 1 bird and 3 fish.  Yes, I am aware of the fact that Reed is not here to help me take care of all of these animals!  Anna is a huge help and takes care of her bird and fish pretty much on her own.  She also helps a lot with the dogs and Rosie. 

We had been talking about getting a kitten for awhile.  I had almost convinced myself NOT to go down that road again.  When we got rid of Sonny (took him to the SPCA because we could not find a home for him), I was beyond bitter about him.  He annoyed me most of the time.  He peed everywhere.  I was OVER him.  At the time, I thought it was partly behavioral but it wasn't.  He had some kidney issues and even though we kept him on special food, he just kept peeing.  They actually had to put him to sleep he was so sick and I feel terrible about it BUT, I do believe handing him over to the SPCA was the cheapest route to do what we probably needed to do anyway.  I don't think he ever would've gotten well and stayed well.  That's no way for a kitty to live.  I knew if we were going to get another kitty, it had to be THE right kitty.  It had to be the right situation, time, etc.  So, I started looking.  Then I started wondering: "What if whatever kitty we gets smells the Sonny's pee and pees there too" (Yes, its been cleaned, and steam cleaned with special one for animal stains but I've heard of cats doing that before.)  And "Do I really want to fork out all that money to have a cat fixed again, etc?  And, "What if the Navy moves us and we can't find a home for all these animals?"  And, "We have bad luck with kitties.  Can I handle another one and potentially another loss?"  So clearly you can see that I had myself almost talked out of the whole kitty thing.  I'd even told Anna that it probably wasn't going to happen anymore. 

Then, we drove by the SPCA on the way home from Chick Fil A one day.  We've occasionally stopped and I won't lie, I always want to leave with an animal.  Or two.  Or six.  But I don't.  Then I see the signs on all the cages.  They are having a special on cats and dogs.  The dogs are $39 and the cats are $29.  That's after they've already been spayed/neutered!  And micro chipped.  And, given some of their first shots.  And, Frontline.  And...MORE.  Anna instantly fell in love with this cute black and white kitten but she had an ulcer in her mouth.  Instantly, I said, "NO!"  I wasn't about to adopt a SICK kitten!  I fell in love with a cute grey and white tabby girl instead.  I went home and talked to Reed about it.  He said that at that price, I might as well get her.  So, I went to pick up my grey and white tabby the next day.  Only she'd already been adopted.  Boooo.  Sad face.  But, we were drawn back to this black and white kitten.  She wanted to play with Anna again.  We got her out.  She LOVED being held which is a MUST for a kitty of mine.  She even played with Anna while I held her like a baby.  They called the vet tech in and she checked her mouth.  They had deemed her kennel cough gone but in the process of being treated for that, the antibiotics gave her the ulcer.  The ulcer was well though when the vet tech checked her.  I was still hesitant.  But, I was falling in love with this little lady.  I couldn't imagine leaving without her.  So, we adopted her.  I won't lie.  I kept thinking about how the dog in Marley and Me was called "Sale Puppy" and I wondered if we were in for the same sort of treatment from our Rosie. 

She is perfect for us.  She lets Anna man-handle her.  She loves to cuddle with me at night.  She adjusted to the dogs pretty quickly although she's still not too sure of Jack.  She LOVES Bosco and he likes her much more than he liked Sonny.  I'm thinking its because she's a girl.  He never would lay on the couch at the same time as Sonny but has been letting Rosie get on the couch with him since the first night we brought her home.  Last night, they were sleeping right next to each other, facing each other with their paws touching.  Jack is a different story.  Sonny had been declawed and Rosie isn't.  I'm thinking we won't do that this time.  But, Jack and Sonny used to play rough all the time and he can't do that with her because she's too small and because she will claw him if he tries.  He's not used to that!   And, at the same time, she's also CRAZY.  She tries to climb the door frames at least once a night.  I told Reed yesterday that usually it doesn't bother me but sometimes the kitty stage can be annoying when you just want her to chill out and she won't!

We have had to make some changes in regards to the fish and the bird.  They are now ALL in Anna's room and she is VERY good about keeping her door shut at all times unless she is in there and awake.  Hopefully, we won't have to do that forever!  But, until she learns that the bird and fish are off limits or they are no longer with us, that's the way its going to be. 

Here are some pictures and a video of her!  She and Jack were just getting acquainted here.  Neither of them are very sure about the other.


No comments: