Monday, May 17, 2010

That kind of night...

I haven't blogged in awhile and it just feels like that kind of night, ya know?  The past month has been one of the most busy months in my life.  I kid you not.  Here's what we've been up to...

Reed was here for a little over a week.  All together, we spent almost 2 weeks together.  Our time together in VA was very relaxed.  We should have done a hundred things around the house but didn't and just focused on spending time together.  Saying goodbye was pretty hard since the first time...yes, you read that right.  We took him all the way to the airport in Richmond the day his flight was supposed to leave, cried and said goodbye and then realized that the flight was canceled.  They re booked him for the next day and it was much easier to say goodbye the second time. 



We took pictures the first time we took him to the airport.

On the way home, we found "tall shoes" for Anna to wear to Busch Gardens and she has now ridden both Griffon and Alpengeist at Busch Gardens.  I don't know were this brave girl came from, but I like it!  Just last summer, she'd get nervous riding The Big Bad Wolf. 

Right after he left, Tab and Stu offered me Emma's old bed.  We didn't have one in the guest room so it was perfect.  That meant that I had to clean out that room and get/make some accessories for the room.  All of my old clothes were in there, our Christmas decorations because I didn't want them in the attic (I can't get into the attic, only Reed can!), lots of tools from work we've done upstairs that never made it back down to the garage and apparently every bit of paperwork/trash that Reed has brought home with him from the Churchill and Bush after leaving those ships.  It was fun to work on the room though!  I haven't decorated a room in awhile and it was nice to be able to do what I want.  I'm getting the painting bug and want to do several areas right now but some other work is going to come first (like reorganizing the office...yikes!).  We've even had a guest in the guest room when Eden Poteat spent the night with Anna.

While Reed was home I applied for a job as the Children's Ministry Director at the Methodist Church in Poquoson.  I interviewed for the position and then visited the church to see how things worked.  Then, on Mother's Day, they had me run their Sunday morning program...without much direction other than a Bible passage.  I was excited about the hours and the pay but there were some HUGE differences between this church and WEC that was giving me some reservations.  On Saturday a letter came stating that I was no longer a candidate for the job.  There are a couple of things that bother me about this situation and maybe they shouldn't since I really feel that God protected me from a bad situation here. I mean, after that whole long process, I never even so much as had a real conversation with the minister. I feel like the process was pretty drawn out and I really was encouraged each step in the process so I didn't really look for another job.  And, I didn't even get a phone call.  I could see sending a letter if I'd just gone through one step of the process but I spent several hours at the church and planning on Sunday's worship with the kids.  I know I need to just get over it and focus on finding another job that can be a better fit for us.

Also during this time, I helped plan a friend's wedding.  I met Ashley through my Community Group at WEC.  She didn't have a ton of family support for the wedding and so, as a member of her Community Group, I stepped in to help her out.  We met for coffee one afternoon and went over the budget and talked about how much we could do with it.  The budget was...small.  But that's ok!  It just meant that the wedding decorations would be craft intensive.  It also meant that we would get to spend a lot of time together getting to know each other while working on crafts.  Let me tell you, I've grown to love Ashley and Robert...and I think they've grown to love us.  Anna especially loves hanging out at their house and playing with Robert!  I also talked her into renting chairs and a table so that we could do everything outside for a garden themed reception.  I decorated the church...the very first WEC wedding...on Saturday morning.  The ceremony was beautiful!  Then we left the church and went to their house to start setting up the reception.  There was supposed to be a 2.5 hour gap between the ceremony and the reception but people just started coming to the house...and getting in the way of us setting up!  Four lovely people from Community Group helped us set up.  They were amazing.  I tell  ya, this group of people knows how to help out in a pinch!  Love them!  And the reception was REALLY nice.  The weather was perfect and everyone had a great time.  It was an exhausting couple of weeks but I loved it!  It reaffirmed that I really do want to do this...like as a job.  I loved planning this wedding and working with Ashley and Robert! 


Pictures of the church.  I'm not sure WHY some of them are dark.  We made ALL those wedding favor bags.  I took that picture of Ashely, with her head cut off on purpose (we got that a lot on Saturday), made the pew bows, trees on stage, covered the table, made the topiaries, etc.


These are from the reception.  Robert's family brought the cake, ham biscuits and chicken salad cups but otherwise, we made the food for the reception.  I also, thanks to my little helpers, put out all the food and decorations.  There were a TON of white dishes on that tiny table!  It barely fit and only because we had food  under the 3 tiered stands on the backside.  I also took pictures of the bride and groom, hence the bouquet which is one of her favorite pictures.  It was made by her grandmother. 

Sorry the pictures are so small but you can click on them to see them bigger. 

So that's it in a nutshell. We don't have a lot going on after this weekend until the end of school at which point we have a graduation and dance recital. THANK GOODNESS LIFE IS SLOWING DOWN! This weekend is Anna's Art Sale for the Capacity Campaign at church. We're excited about that and hoping the weather holds out! She's already made $8! If you interested in a piece, let me know! I'll get you our address or something. She's pretty talented and did an awesome watercolor earlier today.

As for my weight loss, it is starting to slow down which means I need to either get my hiney in the pool or on the treadmill that my mom and dad got me for Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still loosing but not as fast as I was!  I am finally at my pre-pregnancy weight...well actually below it.  I'm pretty close to 110lbs lost and about 75 since surgery.  I'm wearing a 16!  When I think about that, I'm shocked.  Just shocked!  I'm starting to buy normal clothes in the normal size section.  That is the most amazing feeling! I can't wait until I can say I've lost 100 lbs since surgery and my goal is to say that by July 4th!


I've just realized that I may have written the longest blog in the history of blogs so I think I'm going to stop here.  I told you it was that kind of night.  I probably could've written more...I guess I just feel like rambling!

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

You've been busy!! Glad things are going well. :)