Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Back in the 757

We are all home in Virginia!  Its so nice to be a family and just be with each other that both Reed and I have been putting some other stuff off!  We need to get this stuff done and we have a date planned for Friday so we better get to work.  Its hard to do that when all we want to do is be together.  But, the work won't go away.  I'm hoping we can get the yard cleaned up tomorrow and then some other projects finished on Wednesday and Thursday.  Friday we plan to spend the day at Busch Gardens and then go on a date that night while Anna spends the night at my mom's.  Then Reed leaves on Saturday.  I try REALLY hard not to focus on the fact that we don't know yet when we'll get to see each other again.  But, every once in a while, that thought overcomes me and I'm sad.

Since Reed is here in VA, I guess I should fill you in on the details of our little reunion.  Anna and I got to the pier and she called Reed as we were finding a parking spot.  He was on the "big eyes" which are pretty powerful binoculars that the ship has.  He found us in the parking lot and saw me get out of the car!  I was mad at him--you know like not really angry mad or even frustrated mad.  I just wanted to be able to see his face the first time he saw me!  So such luck!  The first thing he says to me is that he can't believe how small my face has gotten.  We had a great afternoon at Sea World!  It was pretty empty so we got to do lots of things even though our time there was limited.  I think we only spent 4 hours there total.  One of the most amazing parts of the day was when we went to the underwater viewing area and baby Shamu (Kohana is her real name) came over to the window to interact with the kids.  Apparently, she NEVER does this so it was a treat! 

We also got to spend some time at the San Diego Zoo!  We were able to see lots of babies: a panda, a camel, and koalas.  I think the babies were my favorite part.  The zoo is amazing and all its cracked up to be.  Man, its HUGE! 



We also drove out to Eastlake which is in east Chula Vista.  Its the area I was interested in living if we have to eventually move out there.  I wasn't that impressed with San Diego for a couple of reasons: it felt dirty to me, there were lots of homeless people there, in the nicer areas, I felt RUSHED, lots of bad language--even Anna noticed and said something to me about it, and people seemed to be very public about their choices in companions.  Catch my drift?  There were two girls all over each other in line in front of us at Sea World and I was just HOPING Anna wouldn't notice.  I don't think she did.  Its not something we see often here, nor was it how a boy and a girl should act in public, much less 2 girls. 

We flew home on Wednesday...all day!  Our plane did land early and my phone died in JFK with no way to charge it.  So, I had to go to the USO office to call my dad to come get us early.  Thank goodness for the USO!  They support the military in other ways besides putting on concerts for our deployed men and women!  He offered to let us hang out there, grab a snack and a drink but we opted to go get our luggage and wait outside for my dad.

Reed got home Thursday morning.  Since then, we've been to Busch Gardens, church, bought 2 birds, he took Anna on a date to see "How to Train Your Dragon", visited with family and watched my nephew's baseball game.  Its been an awesome visit....just wish he could stay a bit longer...like FOREVER!  I'm currently pushing him to have his back looked at again.  I'm hoping they'll finally see the need for surgery at which point, they will have to send him HOME.  Sounds like a good plan to me!

Otherwise, life is good!  Anna is doing well on the Concerta that she's on for ADHD.  I'm enjoying her on it.  We have had a "crash" so to speak but we also know she's not currently on the correct dosage.  She has graduated from her extra reading group and is very excited about that.  But, we are still looking at private schools next year.  And, I'm looking for a job to pay for said private schools.  Please pray that I find something soon.  I just sent off a resume for a children's ministry position at a Methodist church in Poquoson.  I just found out that I have a friend that goes to church there.  I won't have to leave my current church since this church doesn't meet on Sunday nights and that's when we attend Waters Edge.  Its only 20-25 hours a week and Anna would be able to be with me Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights.  I hear they need a lot of help building up the children's program.  It sounds like a great opportunity for me to work some but still be available to Anna...and I get to work in an amazing, rewarding feild!  Does it get better than that?  So, please pray that I find something SOON.  I want to get Anna registered for the new school soon.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Sounds like a great trip! We love San Diego.