Monday, March 22, 2010

What's going on with the Gonzales'?

I haven't done a family update in awhile and thought it was time.  If you're reading this for the first time since my blog is no longer private, then WELCOME.  I hope you understand that in regards to Reed, dates won't be given out, nor will locations unless they've been made public.  That being said, I do tend to give out generalizations and its already well known where his ship is headed.

I have booked our flights to San Diego for next month!  I'm so excited!  We'll be there a few days before the ship pulls in and I'm sure we'll have a great time!  I plan on hitting Sea World at least once while we're there...and Ikea too!  I wonder if Ikea will let me have a child's plate of meatballs?  I have to figure some other things out to keep us occupied and I still have to rent a car and find a cheaper room for us to stay for a couple of nights.  Because of the proximity to Easter, it was too expensive to fly in when I wanted to.  I had reserved our room for the dates I originally planned for us to be there for...and I will keep those reservations but Anna and I don't need a suite!  I haven't found an outfit yet.  I have a couple of options.  Maybe I should post pictures here and see what you guys think.  I'm also hoping to check my friend's closet before going too.  Anna, as usual, is completely ready for the trip.  I have all the summer clothes she NEEDS (but we all know that I'll probably buy more) and the perfect dress to see her dad on the pier.  Did I mention how excited I am?  Soooo excited!  I'm excited to finally get to see San Diego and do some fun stuff there, I'm also excited to see Reed and for him to see me!  And, I'm excited for Reed and Anna to get to spend some time together.

As of right now, it really does look like Anna and I are staying here.  The latest word from the Ombudsman of Reed's ship says that the ship will be in and out  for weeks at a time from June-December and then they will be deployable anytime between October and February.  We wouldn't be with Reed very often.  Then there's this house that feels like a bit of an albatross.  Nothing in this neighborhood is selling.  There are several homes for sale that are cheaper and in better shape than ours.  So, the plan was to refinance and rent it out for a year or 2 before trying to sell it at that point.  But with Reed being gone for so much of the time we'd be in San Diego, moving doesn't seem like the best option although everytime I come to that conclusion, my heart breaks just a little.  I don't want to be without him for that long.  We'll just have to make the best of it and try to be with each other when we can.  Nothing is set in stone at this point.  If we had the money to carry a mortgage and rent somewhere else for the 6-7 months Reed would be in San Diego, I would do that in a heartbeat.  We just don't have that kind of money. 

What else is going on?  There's not much going on with me...Anna on the other hand has a few things in the mix right now.  I've had her screened for ADHD.  We'll get those results before going to San Diego.  I'm also looking at a couple of private schools for her for next year if we're here.  There are a couple of reasons...1) smaller classes will really help her even if she doesn't have ADHD or some learning disability 2) she can make good, true friends.  I don't remember 2nd graders being so petty.  But, it seems that the little girls Anna goes to school with are already saying things like "If you don't do this, I won't be your friend."  Everytime something like this happens, or worse, I just cringe because I know its not like that everywhere.  Tab suggested just putting her in York Co. schools but the tuition is about the same either way so I'd rather have her at Summit or Denbigh Baptist for now.  BUT, she's loving dance this year and is totally excited about her recital in June! 

No comments: