Saturday, March 3, 2012

How do you get people to respond to you on Facebook?

Well, all I had to do was tell my Facebook friends that I had just made my own laundry detergent!  Within minutes of putting it in my status update, I had comments.  Like an insane amount of comments.  Wow.

Anyway, I did in fact, make my own detergent.  I should start using it tonight.  Here's the recipe I used but I doubled it.  Laundry Soap

This cost me $7.19+ tax and since I doubled it, I decided to also use a whole bar of Ivory plus 1/3 of the Fels Naptha stuff.  We use Ivory so I have it at home already.  I thought I'd be able to smell the Ivory but I can't.  In fact, it smelled when I was making it but now it doesn't.  

I put it in a Lowes bucket but I used a food grade bucket which I don't suggest!  Those lids close tight.  The first time I closed it, I had to hammer it shut and then I broke a sweat opening it back up!  The bucket was around $5.50 but like I said don't get the same one I got.  I don't know if the other buckets are cheaper or not.

Then I went to Target and got a measuring cup and pitcher like this one:
It cost about $6 and the measuring cups were $2 for the cheap set and I only need the 1/2 cup one anyway so now I have some new measuring cups.   If I had bought a bucket that was easier to open, I might have gone awhile without the pitcher but there is just no way I can open and close that bucket every. single. time.  Nope.  Not going to happen.  That's a grand total of $20.69.  So, up front, it hasn't been so economical but in the long run, it will only cost me about $8 to make about 10 gallons of soap!  I'm figuring that's almost a years worth of laundry detergent. 

No comments: