I know I haven't written in weeks. We've been super busy. Apparently, we've been so busy that I missed some news on facebook. Its big news. Huge. Our friends, Melissa and Steve have apparently split up. I haven't talked to either one about it yet but the pictures of Steve with a new girl on facebook make it pretty clear. Steve was the best man in our wedding. Melissa has been an incredible support to me both as a Navy wife and through my weight loss journey. This has me freaked out a little. And sad. I've always looked to how we navigate this "Navy life" like they do. If they could do it, then so could we. They always seemed so steady. They had weathered some pretty BIG storms themselves and fought through it. If you knew what they've already been through, you'd think that they could weather anything. And, they've always been great friends. That's why this has me totally baffled. Then again, I know Steve doesn't believe in God's grace and I know that if he did, he'd be willing to stick around and fight to make things work with Mel. Mel takes the "I believe in God" but doesn't attend church regularly unless she's started that recently. At any rate, I know that our faith is the thing that will make Reed and I work, even after being apart for 18 months. But, this has shaken me a little. It does make me wonder how things will be when Reed's home for good and not just a visit. Steve and Mel did a similar stretch apart. I know that Reed will gladly go into counseling if we need it when he gets home. I know he'll work hard to make us work so we don't end up like his parents ended up. Divorce is just not an option for Reed. He's been hurt by it too many times.
The other thing is...how do we hang out with Mel and Steve now? They were one of our few couple friends. Does Reed hang out with Steve and me hang out with Mel? I'm pretty sure that I'll now feel uncomfortable around Steve even if he isn't the one to call it quits. Mel was with me when the guys were gone on the deployment right after we moved. We've always gone months without talking and then spend 2 hours on the phone together. She's given me clothes, bought me meals, watched Anna and even came to the hospital to visit when I had surgery in December. I'm not about to give up that kind of support. I'd like to say I'm not going to take sides but I'm pretty sure that if Mel threw him out on his ear for no reason, I'd still want to be her friend. I can't say that that is true for Steve. This is the first time a couple we are friends with has gotten to this point and I don't know how to handle it.
Its late. I need sleep. But, I just had to get this off my chest. I'm very grateful that I am married to a man who loves God and his family. It seems these days that loving your family is just not enough to make things work forever.
I want to write a HUGE update but I also wanted to give a prayer request out to those reading...if you're reading and haven't read this on Facebook: Reed is up for chief. This is his 3rd time up and he got really bad evals last time. His test scores were good though. If he makes chief, that could mean that he gets to come home EARLY! So, please be praying for that! There is nothing in the world right now that I could want more than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment