Saturday, November 24, 2012

Fighting the Bah Humbugs...

I'm not in my usual CHRISTMAS spirit.  It'll come, I hope.  But, I'm not even really in the mood to shop. SAY WHAT?  My decorations aren't up yet as planned because November was full of rain and busy-ness.  But, what's new?  We had lots of rain.  We had lots of dance.  We had projects for school.  We helped with the grand opening of WEC Newport News. We had helping friends.  We had prayer.  LOTS of prayer especially for people like Chris Carter and her sweet baby Nora. In my last post, I talked about setting up an advent calendar full of activities to help us SLOW DOWN and enjoy the season with each other, help others, be kind to others and remember that Christmas is about Jesus' birth but also all of the things above too. 

So, I sat down at work today to get my calendar finalized and I think I like it.  I just gotta figure out a cheap, easy way to display it.  I pinned some on Pinterest today but time is of the essence and I just picked up 2 days of subbing at my mom's school.  This means NO laziness for me this week.  I've got too much to do, which makes me grumpy and I'm back to fighting the bah humbugs.  You see Christmas is my FAVORITE time of the year but I get discouraged when I can't fit everything in, the house doesn't look like I want it to and I want to be CRAFTY on top of it.  But, I need to be GRATEFUL in this season of thanks. WHY? I have an amazing family.  I have an amazing church. And, I serve and amazing God.  It's not the a big deal if ALL the Christmas decorations don't go out.  It's not a huge deal that I don't know what I'm getting Anna or my parents this year.  It's just not the way I want it. But, I do know this.  Christmas WILL come anyway and it's not about what I want.  It's about Jesus. 

So, without further ado, here's the final list of our activities for the month of December.  They're about FAMILY.  They're about GIVING.  They're about DOING.  They're about BEING THE HANDS OF JESUS.

1. Anna and Daddy date
2. Mommy and Anna date to The Nutcracker
3. Donate food to the food pantry
4. Do something nice for your mail carrier
5. Send a card to a deployed soldier, sailor or airman.
6. Go out for hot chocolate, buy an extra for a Red Cross bell ringer and take it to them and donate some change.
7. Go to the Coleman's Nursery exhibit at the PACC
8. Family Game Night
9. BAKING with Ashley and her grandmother
10. Do something to help a friend
11. Look at Christmas lights (either around town or thru NN Park)
12. Take baked goods to the Firehouse
13. Be a Secret Santa to someone
14. Make Christmas ornaments together
15. Watch Elf and The Grinch
16. Christmas Town
17. Invite someone we don't know to Christmas Eve at WEC
18. Take goodies to the WEC staff (hopefully, we can make it to all 3 campuses and central office!)
19. Make a Gingerbread house
20. Do something with my babysitting kids
21. Have a birthday party for Jesus
22. Read the Christmas Story together.
23. Serve at WEC (2 services)
24. Open stockings and attend church together as a family at WEC.

No comments: