The sign you pass on the way into Maine says "The Way Life Should Be." And, while I don't necessarily agree with that most of the year, I do agree with it for about 3 months: June, September and October. Fall in Maine is perfect. There's a reason people go in the fall to see the leaves. It is simply gorgeous this time of year. The weather is absolutely perfect too. Clear, cool, crisp fall days... nothing beats it!
But, there's a really special place in Maine that I just adored and one day, I'm going to get back up there in the fall. It's called Rocky Ridge Orchard. I swear, if I had money, I'd open an orchard just like this one with a barn large enough to host weddings and receptions. It is BEAUTIFUL. We went several years when Anna was little. Here's a picture of her the last year we were there.
So, here's the deal with this place. It has pick your own apples with cute little Red Rider wagons to carry your crop. They have pumpkins too that aren't self pick but they are the prettiest pumpkins I've ever seen. They have a little deli/country store where they sell sandwiches, homemade cookies, whoopie pies, local ice cream, homemade soaps, and other local Maine fare. There is a BEAUTIFUL barn next door filled with hay and an old fashioned wood swing hung from the rafters. It was the perfect family outing because it was close by- just minutes from the Commissary.
I can't quite find a place like it down here. It's one of the few things that I've found I can't find there...this place and Fat Boys.
It's funny that these are the 2 places I miss the most. Just when the orchard is gearing up, Fat Boys is getting ready to close for the winter. Their open fall days are busy with customers trying to get their fill for the winter. I'm pretty sure we went to the orchard and Fat Boys on the same day at least once. Fat Boys is AMAZING. It's great food, good prices and usually fast service...although even if they are a bit busy and things are a bit slow, you don't tend to care because it's WORTH it. It's been 4 or 5 years since I've eaten there and it's crazy that I still crave their onion rings. I've never had an onion ring like theirs before. Actually, I don't like any other onion rings.
And, did I mention that its absolutely breath taking in the fall? Anna was born in Maine and the tree outside my window was so pretty. It's one of my strongest memories of being there since so much of it was a blur of new mommy-hood.
Stunning, huh? Yeah, it would be nice to be in Maine right about now! Maybe next fall!











No comments:
Post a Comment