Monday, July 18, 2011

About to get POLITICAL...

Let me see if I can get this out there with it making sense.  It makes sense in my head but I don't know if it will when I write it down.  This whole budget mess we are in and have been in is VERY disturbing!  There is potential for the military to be unpaid...again.  Now, keep in mind, it's not like our men and women can just stop going to work so they can look for another job to put food on the table.  They must still report for duty.  We're talking about raising the debt ceiling.  Honestly, I have no problem with a temporary hike IF we can get this budget mess under control.  The problem is neither side is budging.  Not. One. Bit.  If we had a 5 year financial plan with balanced budgets (or better yet, that we'd be in the BLACK not breaking even), and could pay back our debt, then by all means, hike up the debt ceiling.  BUT, both plans for balancing the budget are flawed.  I do buy into the theory that the rich need to stay rich so that they can pay the poor(er) to work for them, make products for them, and work in fields that help rich people spend more money.  However, I think we've reached a point where this needs to change even slightly.  I know that's highly un-Republican of me. I also buy into the theory that we need to cut spending across the board.  But, I don't think we should cut programs like Social Security.  How are those who are unable to work supposed to support themselves?  Won't we be digging ourselves a hole by not taking care of those who built this country?  Again, not very Republican of me!  Tough times come for tough measures.  It's time we realized that.  We need to bring in more money and spend less.  I think this is a fairly basic concept so I'm not sure why Congress and the President can't get it right.  Our priorities are flawed, people!  Our government should, at this point, pay social security, the military, DOD and disability first.  I believe it is our responsibility to take care of these people first!  We need to cut down spending in special programs.  Our law makers need to take a cut in pay...like everyone else.  We need to re-vamp unemployment. In the same breath, the money needs to start coming in.  How's that supposed to happen if we don't start taxing those with the money?  Oil companies are sitting back like fat cats, having some of their best years ever, making enough money to drive hybrids...meanwhile we're paying close to $4 a gallon for gas.  Spending is up, therefore, companies ARE actually making money right now.  Let's tax them.  We just aren't in a position anymore to say one side is totally right.  And, I think if we're going to raise our debt ceiling then we need to try harder, much harder to fix this mess!

No comments: